Church of Scientology Dedicates Landmark
Building at Spiritual Headquarters
More than 4,000 Scientologists gathered in downtown Clearwater, Florida, on Sunday, June 29, to mark the dedication of the landmark Coachman Building. The historic structure now stands transformed as the religious training and counseling center for more than 2,000 members comprising the ecclesiastical ministry of the Flag Land Base, the international spiritual headquarters of Scientology.
In recognition of this historic occasion, Mr. David Miscavige, Chairman of the Board Religious Technology Center, led the dedication ceremonies.
Originally built in 1916, the Coachman Building has long been a downtown Clearwater landmark. The five-story, Georgian Revival structure was constructed by Pinellas County Commissioner Solomon Smith Coachman as the county’s first high-rise.
Through meticulous restoration, the Church preserved the Coachman Building’s original features, including its distinctive brick façade, its signature Flemish bond pattern and arched corbels at the upper floors.
In tribute to the history of Clearwater, the Church established a permanent exhibit extending the length of the Coachman’s Cleveland Street and Fort Harrison Avenue exterior. The exhibit features photographs, informational displays and artifacts that trace the city’s heritage from its earliest days to the present. Among the many Clearwater milestones the exhibit depicts are:
Completion of the Coachman Building signifies another step in the ongoing expansion of the Flag Land Base in Clearwater, including:
Facilities at Flag have expanded from two buildings in 1975 to 56 today. And all to accommodate an ever-growing number of Scientology parishioners traveling to Clearwater from around the world to participate in religious services.