Chefs Showcase Hosted by the Church of Scientology
4th Annual Chefs’ Showcase was a culinary tour do force that benefited three deserving local charities.
The 100 guests enjoyed a magnificent menu created by some of the Tampa Bay Area’s most celebrated chefs.
- Barry Reid, Fort Harrison Executive Chef
- Vanessa Marquis, former Executive Chef for Royal Caribbean Cruises and founder of the Culinary Arts program for Metropolitan Ministries
- Rene Marquis, former U.S. Army chef and winner of the Food Network’s Cutthroat Kitchen competition
- Sean Ragan of the AAA Four-Diamond-rated Sandpearl Resort
- Bill Brown, owner of William Dean Chocolates, whose confections have won more than 60 awards
- Zoltan Vajna, Executive Chef for the Church of Scientology in Clearwater, who coordinated their efforts.
Each course had a country-specific theme, wine pairing and musical accompaniment to complement the experience:
- To highlight the German appetizer was a string quartet performance of Ludwig van Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy”
- The French-inspired entree was accompanied by Claude Debussy’s “Claire de Lune.”
Proceeds benefited local charities, including the Police Athletic League, the Leonard Johnson Foundation and the Clearwater Community Volunteers.
“These organizations provide a wide variety of services to the community,” said Lisa Mansell, Public Affairs Director of the Church of Scientology, “from holiday-themed community programs to football camps, after-school tutoring and drug education and prevention. We are honored to be able to help these groups increase their outreach.”
The Fort Harrison has served as the International Religious Retreat for the Church of Scientology since 1975. Fully restored in 2009, the Fort Harrison regularly hosts charity events.
The Scientology religion was founded by author and philosopher L. Ron Hubbard. The first Church of Scientology was formed in Los Angeles in 1954 and the religion has expanded to more than 11,000 Churches, Missions and affiliated groups, with millions of members in 167 countries.
Church of Scientology Media Relations
(323) 960-3500 phone
(323) 960-3508 fax